Even if you have heard of the term ‘committed to excellence,’ do you fully understand what it means? Do you need help being inspired when it comes to excellence in your career and daily life? I will share with your quotes that inspire excellence and some sound advice on how to achieve excellence in your career and help you to be more successful. The following quote is from Aristotle and defines what excellence is.
- “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.”
Table of Contents
Creating the Habit of Excellence
Immediately you can see that excellence is a habit, and any habit can be formed. The best way to create a new habit is by setting yourself new goals and creating a plan of attack. Let’s see how you can do this.
First, you want to define your reasons, or why, for wanting to commit to excellence. Does this pertain to your career, your family life, or for some other reason? It may help to write down your reasons and your why for wanting to achieve this. You will be able to find out the why and
- “Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives – choice, not chance, determines your destiny.” Aristotle
If your goal is to be committed to excellence in your career, there are some simple, actionable steps that you can put into place. If your business consists of clients, then get into the habit of demanding more from yourself than they do of you.
You can easily please your clients by doing any of the following:
- Giving more value
- Over delivering
- Finishing the work ahead of schedule
- Adding in a bonus or adding value
Does Your Image Show Excellence?
- “Mediocre men work at their best; men seeking excellence strive to do better.” Edwin Louis Cole
Another way to improve your career, business, or life through excellence is by portraying a professional image. If not, this is one simple area to improve upon.
- Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. In some instances, this is not realistic but they always dress to impress.
- Are you polite and easy to get along with?
- Do you help bring the team together or do you drive a wedge in between your peers?
- Do you like to stir the pot or do you avoid politics and drama?
Customer service is another area where you can offer excellence. By delivering quality customer service to your clients and your customers is a great way you can easily provide excellence. Always respond to requests in a timely fashion and never get angry at the customer, regardless of the situation.
- “Try to become not a man of success, but try rather become a man of value.” Albert Einstein
Putting forth your best effort will help you to excel in your career. If you do this consistently, you will have that air of excellence surrounding you. This will rub off on other people, and they will begin to view you in a different light.
- “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” Vince Lombardi
How to Develop Lifelong Excellence in Your Career or Business
Have you ever found yourself being intrigued or even jealous of how some people seem to excel at everything they do? It really doesn’t take that much effort to excel in everything you attempt. It is important to understand that nobody can be perfect, but it is possible to be excellent.
If you are always putting your best foot forward and directing your energy into your projects, you will develop a life full of excellence. As long as you acknowledge that you are doing your best, you really are excelling.
- “Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.” Ralph Marston
We must put effort into everything we attempt. Otherwise, you can never develop excellence. You can’t sit on the couch while becoming an excellent runner. You have to get out there and practice running by putting your best efforts into it.
Another way to develop excellence is to learn how to master things. This really applies to learning new skills or understanding how to run a new software program, for example.
- “We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and each one should be really excellent. Because these are our lives.” Steve Jobs
You need to be committed in order to excel. Before taking on a project or committing to a goal, you must be prepared to commit and follow through with it fully.
Life is full of challenges. These can be ones that you set for yourself, or they can be ones that life throws at you. With any challenge, you are going to make mistakes, and there is nothing you can do to avoid this. What you can do, is learn from your mistakes. When something goes wrong, don’t put yourself down; instead, think of what happened and learn from it. This way, you will be more prepared the next time.
Set The Bar High
Another way to challenge yourself is by setting high standards. Don’t be satisfied with only doing those things that come easy to you. Do something that takes you out of your comfort zone.
- “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” Confucius
To really develop lifelong excellence, you should always be open to learning. This may include learning from books or by taking courses. But it also includes learning from life and adapting to things as necessary. Be open to becoming a reader of life!
Own Your Strength and Weaknesses
Before you can really develop your excellence, you must understand what You are all about. Do you know what your strengths and weaknesses are?
Developing a lifelong habit of excellence does not happen overnight. You need to be aware of your journey and take in your surroundings, as well as the people you surround yourself with.
- “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.” Steve Jobs
Be open to new experiences and be willing to learn from your mistakes. This will provide you with a life where you can be happy and healthy and excel at.
Ask yourself these questions!
I know I don’t want to live an average life, do you? Then, why settle for average?
“The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” Vince Lombardi
Creating habits takes effort but it is totally worth it. Forming good habits pays off with time!
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle
Once you see the results, the measurable results embody the motivation within.
“The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” Confucius
Don’t let anyone talk you out of your dreams. You may not hit every goal, and that is okay. What is important is that you are working towards reaching your goals! You can take the quotes I have given you and write them down so that you can look at them daily. The quotes will continue to inspire you to excellence every time you look at them.
Check out our other career articles!